SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- This chapter starts with religious leaders challenging Jesus. The religious leaders ask Jesus why he lets his followers break the traditions of the elders. Jesus responds with two points:
- The religious leaders disobey God’s commands for the sake of their traditions, and,
- They aren’t really concerned about God.
- In this chapter one group (the religious leaders) approach Jesus demanding an answer, and they receive correction. A woman approaches Jesus humbly asking for a miracle for her daughter and she receives it. A group approaches Jesus seeking healing for the sick, and he gives not only healing, but a miraculous supply of food as well. How we approach Jesus, and why we approach him, are critical and significant factors in how he responds to us.
- What do you want from Jesus? More faith? Healing for a hurt in your life? A miracle for someone you love? Are you asking him for it? And how are you approaching him? With a humble heart? Or demanding because you believe it's something you deserve? Why don't you make today a day of humbly asking Jesus for something important you really want?