Today's reading in our daily plan is Isaiah 66. Take a moment to pray, asking God to speak to you from this passage. Then read, using the following notes and questions to help you get everything out of the passage.
SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- The final chapter of the book of Isaiah opens with God declaring that he is larger than the world He created and He cannot be contained in any human structure.
- God’s message is that He will lift up people who are humble and like in previous chapters of Isaiah, He underscores that the acts people perform (their “offerings” and “sacrifices”) mean nothing if they are performed without honest and sincere hearts.
- In verses 7-9 God uses the image of the birth of a baby to describe the rebuilding of His nation. Just like delivering a baby, it is something unstoppable and after the pain is over, there is joy.
- Verses 15-21 paint a picture of the judgment that will occur at Christ’s second coming and tells of how God will send His missionaries all over the earth from Spain to Africa to Asia to Greece.
- The end of the book of Isaiah is another contrast between those who remain loyal to God and will worship Him always, and those who rebel, choose their own way and are reluctant to change. Those who turn their back on God’s Word will never find peace and rest.
SO WHAT? (What are the underlying principles?)
- God’s power and glory are infinite and He has unending love for anyone who chooses to follow Him with a humble and loyal heart. God desires to give eternal blessings to those who are devoted to Him.
- God will also judge those who are rebellious to His way in their hearts. Our actions alone do not bring us close to God, if we are hypocritical in our intentions God will pass judgement. Only Jesus is able to bring us into God’s grace.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Today, choose one rebellious attitude or behavior that you need to change. Be intentional and ask God several times during the day to help adjust your heart. God wants to be close to those who desire the right heart and He can give you the power to overcome your vices.