SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- In Romans 7 we learned that the law doesn't save us or help us overcome temptation, but is there to reveal how sinful we actually are. We learn in this chapter that if we believe in Jesus as the sacrifice for our sins, we are not condemned; we are no longer slaves to sin and death.
- Paul also shows us that there is another law, the law of the Spirit. The Spirit is God's presence inside of us, giving us life and peace.
- Since God gave Jesus for us and gave the Holy Spirit to us, we have an obligation to avoid what we once desired. Instead we now start desiring God.
- Those who say yes to Jesus are not condemned for their sin any longer. They are free from the law of sin and have been given the power of the Holy Spirit. We have a power available to us so we can live life in a different and better way than was ever possible.
- The Spirit of God inside of us helps us in our relationship with God, and helps us to pray when we are weak and don't know what or how to pray.
- Nothing is able to separate us from the love of God.
- We can have hope, even in the worst of times and in a messed up world, because we know God will make things right eventually, and because we know there is life after this life.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Are you living by your power, or by the Holy Spirit's power? What do you think it would look like for you to live in the power of God's Spirit? How could you access God's power? What could remind you to do that in moments of temptation? Spend some time thinking through this and asking God to help you.
- Whatever tough things you're going through, or difficult times you will go through, remember that having God and a perfect future with him in Heaven is important, and nothing can separate you from the love of God.