SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- God is frustrated with the Israelites. He promises he will bring them down very low.
- The Israelites are ignoring the warnings of the true prophets that God provided to them to help guide them and steer them along.
- God is going to give them over to their stubbornness and disbelief. He is especially angry about their false worship and empty human religious rituals.
- The Israelites are lacking faith in God. They go through these rituals but God sees their hearts are not in it. They have no love for him and no faith in him.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Has God been trying to get your attention, but you’ve responded by going through the motions of ritual? Maybe you know you need to quit a bad habit, but you’ve kept indulging because you feel like going to church “makes it okay.” Today is your opportunity to commit seriously to the changes you know you need to make.
- How do you approach God? Maybe you go through the motions without feeling a connection to him? What are some ways you can build a connection to God? Prayer is a great way to start, especially asking God to help you in this area. Asking others to pray for you, reading the bible, and connecting with others in Verve Groups are some other ways.