SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- The nation of Damascus will face punishment. Israel will also face punishment again for disobedience to God.
- Instead of worshipping God, the Israelites are worshipping idols. (An idol is an image or other object representing a deity that doesn’t actually exist.) This angers God immensely.
- Again the Israelites have forgotten God and all he has done for them.
- God demands our devotion and our worship. We are expected to worship God, not idols.
- Modern day idols are often idols that consume our time: instead of spending time worshipping God and talking to him, we live as though social media, money, or status are more important than him.
- In our fast paced world it's easy to let other things take priority in our lives over God. It's easy to get distracted and fall almost into worship of the things around us (i.e.: celebrities or money). We want to make sure we are putting God first in our hearts and minds.
- That may mean turning off the TV and reading the Bible more instead. It may mean getting involved in a Verve Group so you can have support of others with your relationship with God. Maybe it means starting to give money to the church.
- A great way to keep idols from stealing our focus from God is by asking people around us what they see us worshipping with our time and energy. Today, ask a trusted friend or loved one what they think you value most.