SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- Tyre is a seaport on the Mediterranean Sea. Isaiah warns the people who live there that it is about to be destroyed.
- Tyre is given a timeframe of 70 years that it will be “forgotten." After the 70 years, God will restore Tyre and the city will get back to business
- God is trying to get the attention of the people of Tyre to turn to him, so they can experience the good life he wants them to have. When they continue to ignore him, God takes drastic action to get their attention.
- Ultimately, God wants what is good for his people, and will restore Tyre after 70 (70!) years. Similarly, God might use a painful situation to turn us back to him
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Is God trying to get your attention? Maybe you’re going through a painful situation that is actually going to benefit your relationship with God in the long run. Maybe it’s a broken friendship, or a failed relationship, or frustration at work. Ask God to show you what he might be doing to get your attention, and how he wants to use these situations to grow you closer to him.