SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- Verse 10 tells us that our true colors show when we experience difficult situations.
- Quite a few verses in this chapter warn against hanging out with evil people who scheme about bringing others down.
- We’re also told not to take joy in the downfall of our enemies.
- Another recurring theme is that of defending truth, and standing up for what is right.
- Hard times are an opportunity to grow closer to God. In fact, sometimes God uses difficult circumstances to remind us of His goodness.
- If we find ourselves spending a lot of time with people who talk poorly about others, we should replace those relationships with more meaningful and God-honoring ones.
- Even when it's inconvenient or unpopular, standing up for God should be our priority.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Have hard times pushed you away from God because you focus more on your control, stress level or own decisions? Take time right now to ask God to help you see him in this situation, and to redirect your thoughts to him and his goodness.
- Do your friends constantly talk about other people in a derogatory way? See if you can replace that conversation with words that build people up. If that doesn't work, find new friends who will build you -- and others -- up in all conversations.