SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- The opening verse of this chapter warns us not to take for granted getting another day to live.
- Verse 2 teaches us to let other people praise us, instead of boasting about ourselves.
- Verse 6 says that "wounds from a friend can be trusted." In other words, if a close friend gives you feedback that might be tough to swallow, you can trust that they have your best interest in mind.
- Verse 17 is a great reminder that we need other people, just like steel needs steel to sharpen itself.
- This chapter emphasizes the importance of having trusted people in our lives. We need to invest in relationships with people who love God, love us, and will help us take steps closer to God.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Do you have a close circle of people you can trust? People who will cheer you on and help you grow closer to God? If so, make sure you are investing in those relationships and inviting feedback, even if the feedback isn't what you were hoping to hear.
- If you don't have a circle of people you can do life with, a Verve Group would be perfect for you. Verve Groups meet regularly to do life together and grow closer to God. A new round of groups begins early next year.