SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- This chapter includes a couple of verses about how we speak. Have you noticed when you are in a disagreement with someone if you change your tone from anger to kindness, it can defuse the tension? That’s the point the writer is talking about when he wrote, “a gentle answer turns away wrath.”
- In this chapter we also find a couple verses that talk about God being pleased with us trying to pursue the life he wants for us. The writer goes so far as to say that when we are living right, our prayers please God.
- Have you ever had a big decision and not known what to do? According to this chapter, we should seek the advice of wise people we know.
- This chapter makes it clear that we need other people to help move us forward in our spiritual journeys. We should seek wisdom from these people, and be gentle and gracious in our conversations with them.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Are you in a disagreement with someone? If your tone is confrontational or aggressive, try a gentler approach. As this chapter tells us, the worst thing that can happen is that they become more open to what you're saying.
- Do you have a safe group of people who will cheer you on as you figure out next steps? If not, a Verve Group is just that -- and you can join one today.