SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- Verse 1 could apply to both men and women. The idea is that we can build up those in our home and develop a good family structure by the way we put God first and talk lovingly to each other. Or we can destroy it by not doing these things and living selfish lives.
- We are encouraged to keep doing good because the 'faithless' will get caught in the end. Even if we never receive a reward in this life, we can take comfort in knowing we have integrity… and God favors that.
- Have you ever desired that fictional 'fountain of youth'? Well, we don’t have that but we can learn how to get the 'fountain of life' from verse 27. It teaches us that fearing the Lord keeps us from getting tripped up, and brings us life.
- Do you need to be more intentional about 'building' your family a home? Or do you need to make amends with someone? Maybe you just needed to be encouraged to keep your integrity strong. What verse was it for you? How will you apply that to your life?
- The beginning of this chapter speaks of creating a healthy foundation for ourselves and those closest to us. When we do that, it makes it easier for the other parts of our lives to fall into the plan God has for us.
- We should constantly be looking for ways to make that foundation stronger. Life happens fast, and if we're not intentional about orienting it around God, our spiritual foundation can become shaky.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- What can you do today to strengthen your and your family's spiritual foundation? Could you make a habit of reading the Bible together, or talking regularly with each other about God, or going to church regularly? Sit down together today and work out a plan.