SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- This chapter opens up by warning us not to be led astray by alcohol.
- Verse 5 says that a person’s heart reveals their motives, and that a wise person will seek to find these underlying motives that determine how people act.
- Verse 27 tells us how God looks past our actions and words and sees our inner motives.
- If you or someone you know has been affected by an addiction to a substance, you can relate with the opening verses of this chapter. As followers of Jesus we need to be on guard against habits that can turn into addictions.
- Our motives matter. Dishonesty, selfishness, and even addiction can develop if we do not regularly check our motives and make sure they are God-centered.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Have you started to develop a habit that, if you think about it, is not driven by a God-honoring motive? Take steps today to stop engaging in that activity, and surround yourself with people who will hold you accountable. The sooner you make this change, the easier it will be to break free from.