SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- Several verses in this chapter address the words we speak. The writer warns us that our words can bring our downfall, and even incite physical violence. In fact, verse 21 tells us that the words we speak can bring life and death.
- In verse ten we’re reminded that God wants to be our safe place to find rest when times are tough.
- We need to be careful to think before we speak. Our words carry a lot of power.
- When life is crazy, we need to turn to God to be our safe place in which we can find rest.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Do you find yourself wishing you wouldn't have said something, or wishing you would have said it a different way? Ask God to give you the wisdom to pause before you speak, and to speak in a way that honors him and grows people closer to you.
- If you're tempted to isolate yourself from God when you experience difficult circumstances, lean into him instead. Tell him how you're feeling, and be transparent about your emotions. The first step in growing closer to God is talking to him and being honest.