Today's reading in our daily plan is John 19. Take a moment to pray, asking God to speak to you from this passage. Then read, using the following notes and questions to help you get everything out of the passage.
SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- John was an eyewitness of the crucifixion and gives many details of what happened. He chooses not to comment on what happened, or to share his feelings about it, but simply to report on the events.
- It's possible that Pilate said, "Here is the man!" (in verse 5) because Jesus had been whipped and beaten so severely that no one could have possibly recognized him.
SO WHAT? (What are the underlying principles?)
- All that happened to Jesus - the beatings, the cross-carrying and the crucifixion happened so that we can have eternal life; so we can know God in this life and be with him forever in the life to come. Jesus didn’t deserve to be on the cross. We, however, do deserve it. He took what we deserve so we can have life.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Jesus gave his life for us; what do you need to give up for Jesus?
- Take some time to thank Jesus for what he did for you on the cross.