SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- Today we conclude Hebrews, and this last chapter contains a long list of things we should do as we live for Jesus, such as...
- Love each other.
- Take care of strangers (It says that some strangers may be angels, which should be a sobering thought next time you encounter a homeless person).
- Care for prisoners.
- Care for those who are mistreated, just as you would want someone to care for you if you were in the same situation.
- Honor the bonds of marriage.
- Keep sex holy (that is, only a husband and wife).
- Don’t love money.
- Don’t worry about your needs because God promises to take care of you.
- Don’t become sidetracked by wrong teachings about Jesus. Stay focused on what the Bible clearly says.
- Be willing to be disgraced for Jesus because he was disgraced for you.
- Continually praise God.
- Share with others.
- Submit to your leaders and make it a joy for them to lead you.
- Pray for others.
- At Verve we say we want to love God and love people. Jesus said all the commandments hinge on loving God and loving people. Looking back through that list, can you see how each connects with loving God and loving people? What if our driving questions were "How can I best love God?" and "How can I best love people?" Wouldn't we probably end up doing all of these things?
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- What on that list are you good at? Thank God for the strength he's given you in that area.
- What on that list do you struggle with? Ask God to show you why it's important, how it's really about loving God and people, and to give you the strength to do it.