SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- Zophar is a third friend of Job's. He is also the most direct and disrespectful.
- Zophar's insists that Job is suffering because of his sin. He has nothing but destructive words for Job.
- Job is referred to as "deceitful" in verse 11. Zophar accuses Job of secretly hiding faults and sins from everyone around him.
- Surrounding ourselves with the right friends is so important when we're suffering or going through tough times. Listening to the wrong person can be destructive.
- When someone is suffering we must be careful how we use our words. Too often we can make light of the situation or speak to harshly.
- It is correct to search our hearts for any sin when we experience suffering, but suffering is not always in direct connection with sin.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Who in your life could use your support? Who could you be a friend to in a helpful way?
- When someone is suffering do you listen and then show compassion with your words?