SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- This chapter describes the events immediately following the completion of the wall. Nehemiah gives instruction on how the gates should operate from here on out.
- Even though the size of the city was large, the number of people living there were quite small.
- Nehemiah goes over the last census and discovers about 50,000 people who are living in or near Jerusalem
- In order to complete the details of the wall, Nehemiah and other nobles made financial contributions to the continuing work of the wall
- It can be a little mind numbing to read all those names and wonder why it's in the Bible. But it's important to remember each one of those names written is someone God loved just as much as you.
- The practical nature of our world is that it often takes money to get things done. Even though much of the work has been completed by time and resources that have been donated, it will still take a sizeable sum of money to get the work done.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- How can you contribute to the work going on at Verve? Do you have time or resources you can donate? Have you taken steps to be a more consistent financial contributor?