SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- Solomon's father David had wanted to build the Temple but God told him the job was for his son Solomon. Finally, Solomon has the opportunity.
- Because Solomon believed God was great and totally worthy of honor, he wanted to make the Temple as well constructed and beautiful as possible.
- Solomon wrote a letter to his friend King Hiram (verses 3-10) requesting his help in constructing the Temple. Hiram was a friend, but not a believer in God. So Solomon took the opportunity to share about God with him (see verses 5-7).
- Solomon wanted the Temple to be as perfect as possible so it would honor God. We need to have that same attitude about our church and about ourselves.
- "Outsiders" think of God as "living in" and being represented by church. So we want to do everything we can to make church as attractive to people as possible.
- While people think of God as living in the church building, we know the truth is that God lives in us (we are God's temple; see 1 Corinthians 6:19) if we have invited Him to. As we think about how much care Solomon took in making sure the Temple would be perfect for God, we should be even more intent on making sure our bodies and our lives are good homes for God that honor Him.
- As Solomon did with Hiram, we need to look for opportunities to share about God with people who don't know Him.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- In what ways do you contribute to making your church as honoring to God and attractive to "outsiders" as possible? What are you not doing that you could?
- Hanging out in the lobby before and after service with a smile on your face, saying hi to people you don't recognize, to try and make your church a more welcoming place?
- Committing to a volunteer role where you can play your part in your church's ministry?
- Contributing financially to your church's ministry?
- Staying focused on God during singing and the sermon, so you're not a distraction because you've lost focus and are checking your phone or nodding off?
- Who has God put in your life who doesn't know Him? Are you looking for opportunities to share about God with those people and to tell them your spiritual story? Will you jump on that opportunity when it presents itself this week?