SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- This chapter starts with religious leaders challenging Jesus. The religious leaders ask Jesus why he lets his followers break the traditions of the elders. Jesus responds with two points:
- The religious leaders disobey God’s commands for the sake of their traditions, and
- They aren’t really concerned about God.
SO WHAT? (What are the underlying principles?)
- In this chapter one group (the religious leaders) approach Jesus demanding an answer, and they receive correction. A woman approaches Jesus humbly approaches Jesus asking for a miracle for her daughter and she receives it. A group approaches Jesus seeking healing for the sick, and he gives not only healing, but a miraculous supply of food as well. How we approach Jesus, and why we approach him, are critical and significant factors in how he responds to us.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- What do you want from Jesus? More faith? Healing for a hurt in your life? A miracle for someone you love? Are you asking him for it? And how are you approaching him? With a humble heart? Or demanding because you believe it's something you deserve? Why don't you make today a day of humbly asking Jesus for something important you really want?