Today's reading in our daily plan is Deuteronomy 18. Take a moment to pray, asking God to speak to you from this passage. Then read, using the following notes and questions to help you get everything out of the passage.
SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- Verses 1-8 describe the role of priests among God’s people. Priests were the representatives of God who served the people. The role of a priest was not only crucial for communal life but it was also a high honor.
- Verses 9-13 feature an exhortation for God’s people to not conform to the behavior and practices of the world. God’s people are to live distinct lives.
- In verses 14-22, God is endorsing His use of prophets. Prophets were specific people selected by God to serve as His messengers. Often their messages would encourage, edify, or exhort others to draw closer to God.
SO WHAT? (What are the underlying principles?)
- Priests have always played a significant role in the Kingdom of God. Now, instead of select individuals being priests, all Christ followers are considered priests (see 1 Peter 2:9). Our responsibility is to be God’s representatives in a broken world (see 1 Peter 2:12)
- God’s people are to be set apart from the world (see Leviticus 11:44; Matthew 5:13-16; Romans 12:1-20). Even the root of the word ‘church’ means to be set apart for God. Reflecting His image, His character, and His mission is our core responsibility as His people.
- God made mankind to live in community (see Genesis 2:18). God strategically uses prophets to speak truth into the lives of His people. Though we may not have Old Testament type prophets today, He still strategically places people in our lives who speak truth, wisdom, and love. Christians need to learn the art of listening to the voices within their church.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- In what way do you represent God to others?
- How are you God’s representative in your workplace, neighborhood, school, community, etc.?
- What’s one area of your life that needs to be surrendered completely to God so you can represent Him even better?
- Who are some key people that consistently speak Godly wisdom in your life? How often do you meet with these individuals for them to speak truth into your life?