Micro Groups to use. If you're not in a Verve Micro Group, feel free to use them on your own.
This week we were in our series Drop the F-Bomb and talked about "Even Me?!" If you missed it, you can listen to it here.
- Why do you think you can often be the hardest person for you to forgive?
- Vince distinguished between "God-inspired guilt" and "phantom guilt." God-inspired guilt is a good thing, designed to lead us to change our behavior and seek forgiveness. Can you think of a recent time when you experienced God-inspired guilt?
- The Bible says in 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." So, what does God do when we confess our sins to Him?
- Phantom guilt is a bad thing. It's when we've already confessed and been forgiven of a sin by God, but we continue to feel guilty about it. What is something you sometimes feel phantom guilt over?
- We've learned that forgiving isn't saying a sin wasn't sin, it's just treating the sin in love. Why do you think it can be so difficult to treat ourselves with love? Do you struggle with this?
- Vince said that when we don't forgive ourselves, even after God has forgiven us, we're like a child who refuses to accept the gift her parents paid for and gave her. How do you think it makes God feel to have his gift of forgiveness and freedom from our past sin refused?
- Jesus said in Matthew 5:38-39, "You have it said, 'An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth' but I tell you to love your enemies and do good to those who hate you." This verse obviously applies to other people who have wronged you, but if you've hated yourself because of something you've done, do you think it should also apply to yourself? Why or why not?
- We learned that we can forgive ourselves because Jesus paid the price for our sins on the cross, and completely removed our sins and our condemnation (see Psalm 103:12, Hebrews 10:14, Romans 8:1). That means when we continue to beat ourselves up over those sins, we are living a lie. What makes it so easy to live by that lie?
- Jesus said the truth will set us free. What practical things could you do to help you consistently live by the truth so you can truly live free?
- Accountability Question: How have you passionately pursued meaningful time with God this week?
- Prayer Question: What could we be praying for you this week? (Is this there something good we could celebrate with you, or a challenge you need God's help with?)