Micro Groups to use. If you're not in a Verve Micro Group, feel free to use them on your own.
This week we were in our series Drop the F-Bomb and talked about "What?! Why?!" If you missed it, you can listen to it here.
- This week we began a new series on forgiveness. Why do you think forgiveness is such a tough topic for so many people?
- In the Bible, God teaches us to forgive. For instance, Matthew 5:43-44, "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.'" and Romans 12:17-18, "Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."
- What do you think is unfair about God requiring us to forgive?
- In the message, we learned that forgiving is not forgetting, or pretending it never happened, or just saying that you forgive. How might some of these wrong ideas about forgiveness actually keep people from forgiving?
- We learned that forgiveness is releasing my hope for a better past. How might staying bitter about what happened and wishing for a better past keep a person from living a better future?
- We also learned that forgiveness is releasing my right to retaliate. Romans 12:17 says, "Do not repay anyone evil for evil." Why is that so difficult? How might knowing that justice is God's job and he can repay people for what they've done help us to not want or take revenge?
- We also learned that forgiveness releases the power of Jesus into my life. God's not asking us to do this on our own, but offers to empower us to offer forgiveness. Have you ever sought God's help in forgiving? Have you ever experienced God's help in living at peace with others?
- Vince said in the message that we don't forgive to heal the other person, we forgive to heal ourselves. What damage can not forgiving do in a person's life? How have you experienced this? How might forgiving set you free?
- Earlier we considered that it might be unfair for God to ask us to forgive. But how was it unfair for God to offer to forgive our sins?
- Accountability Question: How have I passionately pursued deeper relationships with those closest to me?
- Prayer Question: What could we be praying for you this week? (Is this there something good we could celebrate with you, or a challenge you need God's help with?)