Micro Groups to use. If you're not in a Verve Micro Group, feel free to use them on your own.
This week we were in our series The Left Out Right Arm and talked about "American Idols." If you missed it, you can listen to it here.
- What's your favorite reality show ever?
- The Bible says (like Deuteronomy 4:24 and Exodus 34:14) that God is a jealous God. That He is jealous for us. We normally think of jealousy as a bad thing. How, in God's case with us, could it be a good thing?
- Idolatry is putting our ultimate trust in, or finding our ultimate significance in, or giving our ultimate devotion to something other than God. What are the one or two things that you tend to make an idol out of? (Success? Your kid's success? Your physical fitness? Romance? Money? A sport's team? Your house?)
- The first two of the ten commandments prohibit idolatry. Read Exodus 20:2-6.
- Why do you think idolatry is such a huge deal to God?
- How can idolatry demean God?
- How can idolatry hurt our lives?
- Thinking through some of the struggles and problems in your life, how might they be tied to you making something other than God your god?
- We learned in the message that you don't just get rid of idols, you replace them. You repent (turn away from) your idol and you rejoice in (and turn to) God, realizing that he is the only one who can truly give you the fulfillment and joy you're seeking. What might help you to see that your idols will never do for you what you want, and to turn to God because only He can?
- Accountability Question: How have you been inviting God into all your decisions?
- Prayer Question: What could we be praying for you this week? (Is this there something good we could celebrate with you, or a challenge you need God's help with?)