Today's reading in our daily plan is Exodus 20. Take a moment to pray, asking God to speak to you from this passage. Then read, using the following notes and questions to help you get everything out of the passage.
SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- God speaks to Moses in front of all the Israelites. God speaks what has come to be known as the Ten Commandments.
- After this, Moses enters into the presence of God which has manifested itself as a dark cloud around the top of the mountain.
- God gives Moses instructions on how to construct an altar to make sacrifices on.
SO WHAT? (What are the underlying principles?)
- These Ten Commandments became the bedrock for what the Bible calls the Law. The Bible tells us that God gave this law to his people to show them their need for him.
- The Bible makes it clear that Jesus came and fulfilled the law and that we are no longer bound by it. See Romans 7 for Paul's explanation.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- While we are no longer bound by the law, which would include these Ten Commandments, that does not invalidate our desire as Christians to obey God. Much like in human relationships, when we love someone, our desire to keep that relationship healthy will override our selfish desires. It works the same with God. If we love him, if we recall what he has done for us, we will obey him.