SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- The chapter starts with a warning to pay attention to what we have heard - about our need for Jesus, and his coming for us, and his sufficiency. If we don't pay attention we may drift away.
- The basic idea of the next section we learn that God gave Jesus all authority, though at present we may not see that reality. What we see is the Jesus who suffered and died.
- But Jesus "tasted death for everyone" so he could bring "many sons and daughters to glory." The idea is that through Jesus' death people can be forgiven their sins, brought into relationship with God, and become part of the family of Jesus.
- Though Jesus was God (see Hebrews 1) he became human when he came to earth (verses 14-18). He became human so he could substitute for us by his death. But his becoming human means he also understands what we go through as humans, and can help us when we're tempted.
SO WHAT? (What are the underlying principles?)
- Jesus died to make us right with God so we can go to Heaven when we die, and Jesus is what we need every day of our lives. We must pay attention to and remember that, or it will be easy for us to drift away.
- God has invited you to be part of his family. He wants to be a father who loves you perfectly and grows you into the kind of person he made you to be. He wants Jesus to be your brother, a brother who bore our sin, will always be there for you, and will never give up on you.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Do you consider yourself a part of God's family? Why or why not? How would your life change if you lived every moment remembering that God is your perfect father, and Jesus your perfect brother? If you're not in God's family yet, what is keeping you from accepting the invitation? We're having baptisms at Verve September 8 and 9. Why not say yes to God?
- When you're tempted, does it comfort you to know Jesus lived as a human and was tempted as you are? It should! How could you make that knowledge a part of how you deal with and defeat temptation?