SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- God once again shows his glory by having Pharaoh chase after the Israelites.
- Pharaoh pursues the Israelites until he has them pinned between his army and the Red Sea.
- The people cry out to Moses. God moves the pillar of cloud that was leading them and uses it as a screen.
- God has Moses stretch out his hands over the sea. God causes the water to peel back until it is two standing pillars of water and the sea bed is dry. All of Israel crosses the sea. When Pharaoh's troops pursue them, God has the water rush back to it's usual place and the army of Pharaoh was lost.
SO WHAT? (What are the underlying principles?)
- God performs this one final act against Egypt to clarify to both Egypt and Israel that God is their salvation. They were powerless to save themselves against Pharaoh's army, but God made a way for them to escape.
- This is a perfect example of how powerless we are against sin. Our enemy uses sin to pin us down until we feel like we don't have a choice but to give in. But God promises us that he will always make a way and that no matter how difficult the temptation will is, we can resist and not give in.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- We all have problems that we deal with, but God is eager to give us his power to grow closer to him and weaken sin's effects on our lives. Are you struggling with sin? Is there something in your life that is pulling you away from God, or a bad habit that is damaging your relationship with God or other people? Talk to God about your struggles and focus on taking the next steps in your spiritual journey; as we focus more intently on God, sin's effect on our lives tends to weaken.