Micro Groups to use. If you're not in a Verve Micro Group, feel free to use them on your own.
This week our series was Life In 140 in which we're studying through the Bible book called Philippians. This week we focused on chapter three. If you missed it, you can listen to it here.
- If you had to brag about something you can do better than others, what would it be?
- Read Philippians 3:1 - 4:1
- In verse two, Paul gives a stern warning about some people he calls "dogs." This was a group who insisted that anyone becoming a Christian get circumcised (as people who had faith in the Old Testament had to do). They thought it was faith in Jesus + circumcision. Paul wants to make it clear that it is only Jesus. Why do you think a "Jesus +" approach is so wrong and dangerous?
- Vince said in the message that there are two ways to reject God. One is by disregarding him and being bad. The second is by trying to earn his approval by being good. Does it surprise you that you can reject God by trying to be good? Why or why not?
- Paul explains (verses 4-6) that if someone could have earned God's approval, it was probably him. What do people do today to try and earn God's approval?
- Paul realized there was a "third option." Instead of rejecting God by being bad, or trying to earn his approval by being good, he could accept his offer of relationship by grace. How did this seem to change his life?
- Paul's goal (verses 7 and 10) became knowing Jesus. Honesty time: Is the goal of your life to increasingly know and love Jesus? Why or why not?
- If you made it your goal to know and love Jesus more, how do you think it would change your life?
- If you made it your goal to know and love Jesus more, how might you go about that? What would you do on a daily basis?
- Accountability Question: How have I allowed God to love me just the way I
am, and how have I allowed Him to show me where He loves me too much to leave
me that way?
- Prayer Question: What could we be praying for you this week? (Is this there something good we could celebrate with you, or a challenge you need God's help with?)