SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- God appears to Moses in the form of a burning bush.
- God reveals that He plans to rescue the Israelites from slavery in Egypt through Moses.
- Moses demonstrates his reluctance by questioning God.
- God's name is "I Am Who I Am."
SO WHAT? (What are the underlying principles?)
- When God gets your attention, pay attention. Moses was tending his flock; he'd been doing this for forty years. But then an angel of the Lord appeared to him in the form of a burning bush. And Moses thought, "I will go over..." What would have happened if Moses hadn't gone over to the bush, but rather continued on with his flock? He would have missed his call. He would have missed going on an adventure with God.
- God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things. Moses' first objection (and there will be many) is, "Who am I?" Moses feels inadequate. He's a murderer and a fugitive. He feels like he doesn't measure up for such a great task. But God doesn't even speak to that. It's like he says, "I know who you are and it doesn't matter. I will be with you." You and God are a team that can't be beat.
- How hard is it for God to get your attention? Do you have habit in your life like prayer and Bible reading that help you stay tuned in to what God may be saying to you? Is there anything God is calling you to do today? Perhaps there's a friend or family member in need that God is prompting you to reach out to. Perhaps there is an action He desires you to take. If God is trying to get your attention, pay attention.
- Do you ever feel like God could never use you? You feel inadequate? "I'm a liar." "I'm an adulterer." "I'm a failure." "I don't measure up." God knows all about you and loves you still. More than that, He wants to work through you. So when God prompts you to do something, just say yes! Together, you and God are a team that can't be beat.