Today's reading in our daily plan is Genesis 41:40-57. Take a moment to pray, asking God to speak to you from this passage. Then read, using the following notes and questions to help you get everything out of the passage.
SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- Pharaoh put Joseph second in command of all the country because of his wisdom in handling the famine.
- Joseph really did a good job; Egypt saved up so much grain that they couldn’t measure it.
- Joseph did such a good job managing the country (and God blessed his efforts so much) that during the seven year famine all of the world came to Egypt to buy grain. Pharaoh would just tell people “go see Joseph.”
- God blessed Joseph greatly for his dedication to him. Joseph became the second most powerful person in the world. He was married and had two sons. Joseph was so blessed that he even named his children describing how he had forgotten his old life because the new life God had given him was so much better.
SO WHAT? (What are the underlying principles?)
- You might be thinking; so what Joseph got a raise?!? Umm, no. Joseph went from being a prisoner to being the second most powerful man in the world! That’s crazy. Joseph’s head must have swimming.
- Joseph’s “success” was the product of two things; continued faith in God and maintaining his character. Think about it; if Joseph had slept with Potiphar’s wife instead of maintaining his integrity he wouldn’t have gotten to be the second most powerful person in the world. Instead, Joseph would have lived out the rest of his life in a lie and always worried about being found out.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- What areas in your life do you need to maintain integrity in? We always know the areas we are most likely to fail in. We just don’t usually do anything to prevent our failures. Take some time and identify your weak spots in life then establish serious boundaries to prevent your failure. An example is if you’re worried you may mess up sexually then establish a boundary that you won’t be alone with the opposite sex other than with your spouse (if that applies). I know it will make a few inconveniences but it’s better than the alternative. Whatever it is ask God to show you your weak spots and how to protect yourself from failing. God wants a better life for you than you could ever imagine. I think if we could ask Joseph he would agree.