SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- We’re reading about Joseph again. Remember the last time we read about Joseph he was sold into slavery by his brothers and assumed dead by his father.
- We read about Joseph being sold as a slave to an Egyptian. Joseph did his best to serve his new master. God blessed Joseph and the whole household. Because of this Joseph was raised to the highest position in the house.
- His master’s wife wanted to have an affair with Joseph but Joseph refused. Joseph didn’t want to dishonor his master or God.
- Potiphar’s wife kept pursuing Joseph. When Joseph refused again she lied and said he had tried to take advantage of her. But even in Jail God protected Joseph and he was raised to the highest position there.
SO WHAT? (What are the underlying principles?)
- We see that God was with Joseph and blessed him. Notice also that Joseph wasn’t having a pity party even though he had been sold into slavery by his brothers and thrown into prison! Think about it, we all go through times of feeling sorry for ourselves and what better time could Joseph had to feel sorry for himself? Instead Joseph trusted God and lived everyday doing his best and God blessed him for it.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Maybe you’re going through a tough time right now. Instead of sulking about it, follow Joseph’s example. Trust God and keep doing your best, and watch as God honors it.