Today's reading in our daily plan is Romans 8. Take a moment to pray, asking God to speak to you from this passage. Then read, using the following notes and questions to help you get everything out of the passage.
SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- In yesterday's reading (Romans 7) we saw that trying to live by the law only shows us how sinful we really are, and doesn't help us to overcome temptation. This chapter opens by explaining we have a different option - to live by the Spirit. The Spirit is God's presence inside of us, given to us so God can live his life through us.
- Since God gave Jesus for us and gave the Holy Spirit to us, we have an obligation to avoid what we once desired and now live desiring God.
- Though things often go wrong in our lives and in our world, God has a plan to make things right in the end.
- The Spirit of God inside of us helps us in our relationship with God, and to pray when we are weak and don't know what or how to pray.
- Nothing is able to separate us from the love of God.
SO WHAT? (What are the underlying principles?)
- Those who say yes to Jesus receive the Holy Spirit and can live by the Spirit. We have a power available to us so we can live life in a different and better way than was ever possible.
- We can have hope, even in the worst of times and even living in a messed up world, because we know God will make things right eventually, and because we know there is life after this life.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Are you living by your power, or by the Holy Spirit's power? What do you think it would look like for you to live in the power of God's Spirit? How could you access God's power? What could remind you to do that in moments of temptation? Spend some time thinking through this and asking God to help you.
- Whatever tough things you're going through, or difficult times you will go through, remember that having God and a perfect future with him in Heaven is most important, and nothing can separate you from the love of God. That can give you hope and sustain you through anything.