SAY WHAT? (What is the passage saying?)
- If you've been doing the reading plan, the beginning of this chapter sounds very familiar doesn’t it? Rachel and Jacob can’t have children and Rachel gives her maid to Jacob to have a child with him. Then Leah does the same thing.
- Then Rachel gives her night to be with Jacob to Leah for some fruit. (Crazy!)
- Eventually, God allowed Rachel to have a child of her own and she named him Joseph. We’ll read more of him later.
SO WHAT? (What are the underlying principles?)
- Jacob’s family dynamics are odd and dysfunctional. We have to remember their culture was very different from ours in many ways and this marriage between Jacob and Rachel and Leah shows it. Rachel and Leah and Jacob tried to take things in their own hands but God had another plan. God’s plan is always perfect and in perfect timing. This should remind us to always trust in God and his timing.
NOW WHAT? (How will you personally apply this passage?)
- Where are you trying to take matters into your own hands instead of letting God be in charge? What do you need to trust God with today?